Self-Introduction Letter

Dear Professor Blackstone,


My name is Wenjun, and I am a first-year mechanical engineering student enrolled in your communication and critical thinking class.


I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic in 2022 with a diploma in aeronautical engineering. Since childhood, I have had a passion for maths, physics, and aeroplanes, which naturally led me to pursue aeronautical engineering. During my final year, I interned at a semiconductor company, where I worked on the assembly line. I used tools such as torque wrenches and screwdrivers to assemble equipment according to schematic drawings for wafer fabrication plants. I also designed a tool holder to organise the workstation, intending to make it easier for assembly workers to locate their tools. Unfortunately, the company found my design inoperable. This experience made me realise I needed further education to improve my engineering skills, prompting me to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering.


One of my communication strengths is active listening. For example, when a friend was struggling with personal problems, I gave him my full attention and acknowledged his feelings throughout our conversation. He later told me how much better he felt after sharing his thoughts with me. On the other hand, a weakness I have in communication is my hesitance to confront others. During a group project in polytechnic, one of my team members often ignored messages and missed deadlines. Rather than addressing the issue directly, I passively focused on my tasks and asked others to cover for him. The situation was only resolved when another team member confronted him. Looking back, I regret not having been more assertive and addressing the problem sooner.


Through this module, I aim to achieve two main goals. First, I want to improve my ability to express myself more clearly and effectively in both personal and professional contexts. Second, I hope to become less anxious when giving presentations, so I can appear more confident and feel more at ease when speaking in front of an audience.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to learning from your class.


Best regards,
Wenjun


Comments

  1. Hi Wen Jun! Thank you for sharing your experiences and reflection here. I believe you are already halfway there, as recognizing your shortcomings is 1 step to improvement. If I had to nitpick, you used two commas in the second last paragraph. Overall, I appreciate your personal experiences as it gave me more insight on your goals. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derius, thanks for leaving a comment here even though we are not from the same blogging group. Appreciate it!

      I cannot find the two commas. Could you kindly point it out?

      Delete
  2. Hi Wenjun, I read your letter and found it extremely relatable and insightful. It seems like your internship was one that was more hands-on compared to mine even though we're from the same course. I believe your internship experience definitely spurred your interest towards engineering thus landing you here!

    After reading your letter, I realised that we actually have similar communication styles. We actually practice active listening in different contexts, however, our goals are largely the same. I feel like you should not hesitate to voice out your opinions especially in an academic context. Projects in university have a significant weightage towards your grades and we should be more vocal about groupmates who are not up to standard. I hope that you will be able to use this module as a platform to slowly reach out of your comfort zone and become more vocal.

    I wish you all the best in your university journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daryl! Thanks for the kind comment and I appreciate it. All the best to you too!

      Delete
  3. Dear Wenjun,

    Thank you very much for this cleary organized, articulate and informative letter. You address all the key points and elaborate with interesting detail. I'm impressed by the good fluency here as well as the way you provide depth in your descriptions. The bit about your job is fascinating, and it was obviously a great learning experience for you.

    I look forward to learning more about you as the term progresses.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Prof!

      I appreciate your kind comments and I am looking forward to receiving your wise guidance in critical thinking and communicating.

      Cheers,
      Wenjun

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interpretation of Quote by Marybeth Miceli

Initial Research Pathway (Dyson AM09 Bladeless Fan)